Wednesday 22 May 2013

So I did a bit of walking..

Okay, maybe more than a bit..
On sunday (19th May) I did the Free Radio walk for Kids, which is a 26 mile walk around the outer circle of Birmingham.
Despite what people keep saying, walking it is ridiculously hard to do still! Maybe one day I will be able to run a marathon but for now walking that far is more than enough for me!
 
The walk is to help raise money for 3 different charities: Birmingham Women's Hospital, Cure Leukaemia for Kids and HelpHarryHelpOthers, which are all great causes that do great work. I managed to raise around £120 thanks to my wonderful friends and family, and the Birmingham walk in total raised £302,009!!
 
There are four walks in total, the next three are happening over the next month or so, so if you happen to live in the west midlands or close, and feel like putting yourself threw a lot of pain you should definitely give it a go!
 

Me and my best friend before the walk. (I'd been up since half five don't judge;D )
 
This is the group I did it with, from left - right  :
Ollie, Sam, Owen, Emily, Robbie, Oli and Laura.
 
As you can see we looked pretty happy at the start of the walk! The guys I did it with are actually hilarious, and although they look they were going to die close to the end they powered through and made it, I am so pround of everyone :D
 
As I also did the walk last year, I was hoping to beat my time of 8 hours, but after starting I realised it was never going to happen becuase out group size was so much bigger so we had to stop more often and for longer! We also may have accidently got sucked into subway for half an hour...
In the end, it took us ten hours, but we enjoyed it and were proud to have done it all anyway!
 
On the down side, due to the recent terrible weather in England (as per) I didn't think to talk any sun block. Typical to my luck, the sun did not stop shining all day, and after spending 10 hours in it wearing a vest top I now have second degree sunburn over my arms, neck, chest back and shoulders. Oh, and my nose :(
 
My sunburn when I got home, It has gotten a lot worse but I shall save your eyes!
 
Apart from that, the blisters and the leg ache, I had an amazing time and I am (vainly) pround of myself! I also came away with a new medal, a bag and a new HelpHarryHelpOthers bracelet which just helps keep the memories of the day alove for longer!
 
 Top two - my bracelets from this year. Bottom - my bracelets from last year :)

 
My 'lousy green bag' and my two medals :D
 
Over all I had an amazing time and it was definitely worth it for such a good cause! I really reccomend you guys doing something like this (maybe with sun block though) for charity, it feels amazing to accomplish :)
 
 Getting tired with 8 miles to go! Yes me have kids animal plasters on our faces. Idek.
 
 Let me know if you guys have ever one anything similar, or happen to have done/are doing this walk!

Also as a side note I will only be blogging once a week during exam season so bear with me :)
 
Thanks for reading! April Showers♥
 
 

3 comments:

  1. You really have a natural nack for blogging, its a really great post.
    I'm proud of you to, I know I couldn't do it, and it shows what a good person you are to!
    Suppose you'll want your sponser money off me soon then!
    Miss you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you! I thought I was terrible at writing..
      I bet you could! you just need the will power :)That would be heloful yeah! :D
      miss you too ♥

      Delete
  2. Hi, I've just nominated you for Liebster Award! Check my blog for the questions!:)
    Jess x - http://prettylikepastels.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete

Let me know what you think!